Logo created by Meredith Lewin
Gold Coast Tour 2021- July 10th and 11th
Due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions, we are proud to offer this year’s Gold Coast Tour Routes to all Huntington Bike Club members in good standing. There is no fee for HBC members. Non-members can join the club and participate in the Gold Coast tour for a membership of $25. For non-members, this is a savings of 50% from the usual Gold Coast fee.
In addition to riding the Gold Coast there are many benefits of being a Huntington Bicycle Club member, including:
- Organized rides every weekend and holiday from April thru November each year.
- 10 to 15% discounts for members at most local bike shops.
- 20% discount on a RWGPS Premium annual subscription.
- 20% discount on Road ID account.
- Supplemental ride insurance on club rides thru LAB (League of American Bicyclists).
- Group participation at many offsite rides in the tri-state area.
- Workshops and technical assistance available throughout the year.
* Membership is valid for one year, but must be renewed each year.
GOLD COAST TOUR 2021 ROUTES
Trial Tour Twelve (12 miles)
This pleasant flat route meanders through Greenlawn, East Northport and Elwood for 12.9 miles (We dare not say 13!). A ride leader will be available to guide those who are ready to start at 9:00 am. Novice cyclists will learn the rules of the road for group riding and the use of cue sheets and road markings to follow a tour route.
Huntington Ramble (25 miles)
A family-friendly excursion (without steep hills) exploring the neighborhoods of Greenlawn, East Northport, Commack, Kings Park and vicinities with a vertical climb of 645'.
Vintage Villages (55 miles)
You will also enjoy the harbors and hills. Then you pedal though a string of charming and historic villages-Laurel Hollow, Oyster Bay, Locust Valley, Roslyn, Old Westbury, Brookville and others with a vertical climb of 2,751'.
Grand Tour (70 miles)
Harbors, hills, vintage villages, views of Oyster Bay Harbor & Mill Neck Bay & the affluent communities along the way, shows you why Long Island's North Shore is called the "Gold Coast" with a vertical climb of 3,334'.
Century Challenge (100 miles)
Even experienced century riders find this one a challenge. Your tour includes all the beautiful sights of the other tours plus 35 more hilly miles with a vertical climb of 4,524'.
All routes begin rain or shine at the Smith Street Lot in Greenlawn.
By car: Long Island Expressway or Northern State Parkway to Deer Park Ave (Rte. 231) north. Bear left at the fork and continue to Broadway, turn right. Turn left on Smith Street. Park in the LIRR parking lot. Overflow parking is available in the main LIRR lot on Gates St.
By LIRR: Take the LIRR, Port Jefferson branch, to the Greenlawn Station.
SUGGESTED START TIMES
100 miles 7:00 am
70 miles 8:00 am
55 miles 8:00 am
25 miles 9:00 am
12 miles 9:00 am
How can you ride this year’s Gold Coast?
- GPS files and Cue sheets will be available for all Gold Coast routes for Riders who want to ride on their own.
- All HBC club rides at each riding level will be participating in the Gold Coast tour on Saturday July 10th and Sunday July 11th. Each ride will have a ride Leader and a sweep and have up to 12 riders.
- All rides will be listed on the HBC Event Calendar. All riders must Sign-up for the rides on the calendar in advance.
What’s different about this year’s ride
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, in place of rest stops we have recommended stops along the routes. All HBC club rides usually include food and rest breaks. Bike repairs and SAG wagon support will not be available this year.
HELMETS and SAFETY
ANSI or SNELL approved helmets are required. Cycling safety & strict adherence to all cycling rules of the road are imperative.
It is recommended that all riders bring water bottles and spare tubes. All participants must sign the waiver.
Please support our Gold Coast Fund. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Kids Need More, Camp Adventure,
Gold Coast Fund